The Democratic Party of Virginia is seeking interns for the Spring 2020 term. This is a unique opportunity to gain real life experience in Democratic politics at the start of a really exciting election year. This is a part time or full time unpaid internship. This internship is a great opportunity for someone who is passionate about electing and supporting Democrats at all levels. The internship will take place at the Democratic Party of Virginia’s downtown Richmond location. While the position is unpaid, we are happy to comply with whatever necessary for the student to receive college credit for the internship. Interns with the Democratic Party of Virginia will gain experience with the functions of a state political party.
Those who wish to apply can do so here: https://goo.gl/forms/Y6GJsRK0scfRF1gM2
- Interns will be placed in departments and provide general staffing support to department heads.
- Specific job requirements vary based on the different departments within the Democratic Party of Virginia: Communications, Digital, Data, Executive, Finance, Operations, Political, and Voter Protection.
- Interns will be managed by the intern coordinator and those in their department.
- Ideal candidate will have a desire to learn about the inner workings of a political campaign and a state political party.
- Candidates must be able to demonstrate excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Minimum commitment of 10 hours per week, 15 hours for the Summer term.
- Position is based out of the Richmond Office of the Democratic Party of Virginia
- Positions are available for high school, undergraduate, graduate, and law students.
- Compiling daily press clips & media mentions
- Drafting language for press releases and announcements
- Researching policy and current events
- Social media planning and design
- Social media planning and design
- Drafting emails for our email fundraising program
- Drafting graphics for social media
- Designing merchandise for our store
- Assisting local committees and campaigns with data needs
- Providing prompt customer service to party leaders and candidates
- Using political sense to give advice to clients and suggest modifications to data requests
- Ensuring that all users are able to use the online voter file effectively
- Assisting the Executive Director
- Auditing and ordering office supplies
- Maintaining various office wide calendars
- Supporting other departments as needed
- Help planning events such as fundraisers and trainings
- Assisting in the planning and execution of fundraising events
- Spearheading donor prospecting and research initiatives
- Maintaining our donor database, NGP VAN
- Helping with low dollar and grassroots fundraising outreach
- Processing campaign contributions
- Preparing bank deposits and expense requests
- Maintaining data integrity
- Assisting Operations Director with vendor accounts
- Performing other duties as assigned
- Preparing for Quarterly Steering and Central Meetings
- Maintaining Party contact lists
- Assisting with candidate trainings
- Responding to political inquiries on behalf of the DPVA
A writing sample is required to apply to the Voter Protection Department.
- Assist in preparation for the March Primary Elections and the May General Elections
- Assist with Voter Outreach and Volunteer Recruitment
- Research Virginia election law and update materials
- Answer voters’ questions through the Voter Hotline
If you have any questions about the application process, please email email@example.com.