March 8, 2017 News

Day 2: No Comment on Muslim Ban Round Two from GOP Gubernatorial Candidates


by Christina Freundlich

Another day has gone by and Republicans running for governor refuse to comment on Donald Trump’s refreshed Muslim ban.

Despite the fact that the first Muslim ban is driving jobs away from the region, Ed Gillespie, Corey Stewart, Frank Wagner and Denver Riggleman all supported Trump when he rolled out almost the exact same executive order in January.

When asked what changes would be different in the second Muslim ban, Trump said “very little.” Now, all four candidates are cowering in silence and won’t say whether they reject or support Trump’s executive order.

“Trump’s executive order is un-American, it’s harmful to the economy and it’s putting the lives of Virginia families in danger,” said DPVA spokeswoman Christina Freundlich. “It is simply time for the GOP gubernatorial candidates to come forward and state whether they support or reject President Trump’s prejudice policies that are driving jobs away from the Commonwealth.”

Last month, Governor McAuliffe said that Trump’s first travel ban had a “chilling effect” on Virginia’s economy, and that two overseas companies looking to join Virginia’s economy have since cancelled their plans.

Gillespie, Stewart, Wager and Riggleman have already backed Trump’s Muslim ban once, and Virginians deserve to know where they stand for round two.

###

Paid for by the Democratic Party of Virginia, www.vademocrats.org. Not authorized by any candidate or candidate’s committee.

Keep Virginia Blue

Join the Party