Democratic Party of Virginia HQ
Summer Internships Available:
The Democratic Party of Virginia is seeking interns for the Summer 2021 term. This is a unique opportunity to gain experience in Democratic politics in an unprecedented and historic election year. This is a part-time unpaid internship. This internship is a great opportunity for someone who is passionate about electing and supporting Democrats at all levels. The internship will take place mostly in a virtual environment with occasional in-person work while the Democratic Party of Virginia’s downtown Richmond location begins to reopen. While the position is unpaid, we are happy to comply with whatever necessary for the student to receive college credit for the internship. Interns with the Democratic Party of Virginia will gain experience with the functions of a state political party.
Those who wish to apply can do so here: https://goo.gl/forms/Y6GJsRK0scfRF1gM2.
Applications are due Monday, May 3rd.
- Interns will be placed in departments and provide general staffing support to department heads.
- Specific job requirements vary based on the different departments within the Democratic Party of Virginia: Communications, Digital, Operations, and Political.
- Interns will be managed by the intern coordinator and those in their department.
- Ideal candidates will have a desire to learn about the inner workings of a political campaign and a state political party.
- Candidates must be able to demonstrate excellent written and oral communication skills. ● Minimum commitment of 10 hours per week.
- Position is mostly virtual, however candidates who are able to complete occasional in-person work based out of the Richmond Office of the Democratic Party of Virginia are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Positions are available for high school, undergraduate, graduate, and law students.
This department develops and maintains the Party’s communications vision and strategy. Day to day operations for this department include: sending out press releases, talking points, op-eds and writing and editing communications. Responsibilities for interning in this department include:
- Compiling press clips & media mentions
- Drafting language for press releases and announcements
- Building and maintaining press lists
- Assisting with events
- Researching policy and current events
- Social media planning and design
This department manages the day-to-day workflow of the party’s digital programs, including email, advertising, social media, website, messaging, live streaming, and more. Responsibilities for interning in this department include:
- Designing Social Media graphics
- Drafting graphics and email copy for our online fundraising program
- Building out online event creative and fundraising graphics
- Creating digital ads promoting events and election-related activities
- Assist Digital Director in live streaming DPVA’s online events
- Maintaining DPVA websites
This department prepares our compliance reports and processes all revenue and expense requests and maintains DPVA’s NGP database to report all revenue and expenses. Responsibilities for interning in this department include:
- Utilizing Excel and the compliance software NGP to maintain donor data integrity
- Assisting COO with expense and receipt reconciliation
- Performing other duties as assigned
This department builds strong relationships with elected officials, allied organizations, central and steering committee members. This department acts as an informational resource for candidates and campaign managers and organizes all the steering and central committee meetings. Responsibilities for interning in this department include:
- Preparing for Quarterly Steering and Central Meetings
- Maintaining Party contact lists
- Assisting with candidate trainings
- Responding to political inquiries on behalf of the DPVA
This department works with local committees and local election officials across the Commonwealth. This department recruits volunteers for election day and runs the DPVA voter protection hotline making sure all volunteers and interns are trained properly to answer hotline calls and follow up with voters who may need more assistance. Responsibilities for interning in this department include:
- Assist in preparation for upcoming elections
- Assist with Voter Outreach and Volunteer Recruitment
- Research Virginia election law and update materials
- Answer voters’ questions through the Virginia Voter Hotline
This department works to raise money for the DPVA. This department works with staff, interns and volunteers in the planning and execution of events, maintaining our donor database and processing expenses and contributions. Responsibilities for interning in this department include:
- Assisting in the planning and execution of fundraising events
- Spearheading donor prospecting and research initiatives
- Maintaining our donor database, NGP
- Helping with low dollar and grassroots fundraising outreach
- Drafting materials such as thank you letters, solicitation letters, and emails
- Processing contributions
- Other duties as assigned
If you have any questions about the application process, please email email@example.com
The DPVA is committed to diversity among its staff, and recognizes that its continued success requires the highest commitment to obtaining and retaining a diverse staff that provides the best quality services to supporters and constituents. The DPVA is an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, economic status, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity or expression, ethnic identity or physical disability, or any other legally protected basis. The DPVA will not tolerate any unlawful discrimination and any such conduct is strictly prohibited.