RICHMOND, VA - A new poll released today by Christopher Newport University's Wason Center for Public Policy shows that a vast majority of Virginians supports the top Democratic priorities for the upcoming legislative session.
Highlights from the poll include:
- 86% of those polled strongly support universal background checks on gun sales. 73% support a red flag law and 54% support banning assault-style weapons
- 80% support ratifying the Equal Rights Amendment
- 83% support decriminalizing possession of small amounts of marijuana
- 72% support raising the minimum wage
- Donald Trump remains unpopular. 55% disapprove of the job he's doing as President
- A majority - 52% - approve of the way Ralph Northam is handling his job as Governor
In addition, the poll also showed that a majority of Virginians are satisfied with the results of last month's elections that gave Democrats full control of state government for the first time in 26 years, suggesting the new General Assembly has a strong mandate from voters to deliver on this agenda and more come January.