2020 is a big year for Virginia Democrats.
Join our team to keep Virginia blue!
Voter Protection Coordinator
The Democratic Party of Virginia (DPVA) seeks a proactive and skilled Press Secretary to help promote the overall messaging strategy of the Democratic Party of Virginia. Broadly, the Press Secretary will help manage the implementation of the communications strategy. The Press Secretary will work under the Communications Director to promote long-term and short-term goals of the Party, elevate the Party’s public profile, and engage in strategic communications planning. The Press Secretary will act as spokesperson for the DPVA when appropriate, maintain and grow connections and relationships with local, state and national press, work alongside Democratic candidates in the 2020 elections, and assist in managing the daily press operations.
This position will work directly with the leadership of the DPVA and will be supervised by the Communications Director.
Responsibilities of the Press Secretary include:
- Work closely with the Party’s Communications Director and other senior leadership officials to develop and maintain the Party’s communications vision and strategy;
- Identify rapid response opportunities and work with staff to implement them;
- Develop and maintain relationships with communications leaders amongst Party allies and the media;
- Help oversee the Party’s daily press outreach to include but not limited to writing and editing external communications, talking points, social media posts, press releases, and op-eds;
- Work with local stakeholder groups to help spread a coordinated message statewide;
- Facilitate press conferences and other earned media events;
- Create and manage a robust social media program;
- Collaborate with legislative leadership
- Maintain and update media lists;
- Monitor local and national press for relevant stories and developments
- Help manage the Party’s digital fundraising program
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
- Minimum of 2 years work in political, advocacy, and/or campaign operations and communications;
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills;
- Exceptional people skills and patience;
- Strong time management skills with the ability to manage multiple projects and competing priorities simultaneously under strict deadlines;
- Strong on-the-record confidence;
- Adept at reviewing crafting plans from polling data
- Willingness and ability to travel and/or work outside of normal business hours;
- Responsive and positive team player who enjoys versatility and constant new challenges;
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Google Docs, Dropbox, Facebook, Twitter and other social media tools; and
- A strong commitment to Democratic values; and
- Preferred: 3 years of Virginia political experience
Salary & Benefits
Commensurate with experience.
Application and Interview Procedure:
To apply, e-mail a cover letter, resume, at least two writing samples, and a list of references to Grant Fox: Grant@vademocrats.org
Voter Protection Coordinator
The Democratic Party of Virginia (DPVA) is seeking a Voter Protection Coordinator to build a strong team of Voter Protection volunteers and maintain and coordinate the DPVA Voter Hotline and Poll Observer Program. The Voter Protection Coordinator will work with the Voter Protection and Expansion Director (VPD) and the Deputy Voter Protection Director (DVPD) to make sure every eligible Virginian is engaged as an active participant in our Democracy, understands their voting rights and the importance of voting in every election, is able to vote in free, fair, and accessible elections, and to have those votes counted. DPVA focuses on a year- round and long-term approach to combat voter suppression and expand Virginians’ access to the ballot.
What You’ll Do
- Maintain the DPVA Voter Hotline. Work with the VPD and Chief Technology Officer to maintain the year-round Voter Hotline and expand the hotline around election. Provide for remote access as well as voicemail, language support, and other features as needed.
- Coordinate the Poll Observer Program. Recruit and manage volunteers to be inside and outside poll observers during elections. Work with VPD and DPVP to train all volunteers and assign volunteers to priority precincts.
- Maintain strong data practices. Work with the Deputy Data Director to effectively use VAN/Votebuilder to recruit and track volunteers. Ensure that all volunteers are trained on LBJ and properly reporting calls and logging issues in a timely, accurate, and thorough. Work with the DVPD to administer LBJ, VAN/Votebuilder, Mobilize, and G Suite.
- Escalate issues and analyze voting trends. Work with the VPD and DVPD to monitor issues ensuring that all voter issues have been resolved. Aggregate and analyze voter issues to identify trends in order to properly respond.
- Oversee policy and processes. Develop collateral and maintain an understanding of hotline processes and relevant policies and collaborate with other stakeholders within and outside Virginia to drive consistency for the Hotline and volunteers.
- Expand external outreach. Work with the VPD to cultivate relationships with community organizers and other allies to recruit volunteers and educate voters. Use digital tools to engage new volunteers and educate voters.
Who You Are
- A highly organized, data-driven leader. The ideal candidate can juggle competing priorities in a changing environment without dropping balls. They have demonstrated experience in managing volunteers, planning and executing events, and moving projects forward. They are comfortable using data to inform decision-making strategy, appreciate the importance of reporting clean and accurate data, and possess a strong attention to detail.
- A technically-savvy operator. The ideal candidate will be comfortable setting up and maintaining sophisticated technology. They will be proactive, planning for scale and other potential eventualities.
- Strong cross-team collaborator. The ideal candidate communicates with stakeholders early and often, closes the loop quickly on outstanding issues, and manages up and across to their colleagues, manager, and other team leaders. They will have the ability to work independently to complete their defined responsibilities while also collaborating with the Voter Protection Department and DPVA to complete larger projects.
- Strong situational communicator. The ideal candidate carefully adapts their written and verbal communications to meet the needs and preferences of a diverse group of stakeholders. They will have a high-degree of emotional intelligence to support volunteers through challenging scenarios.
- Fluency in a second language, preferably Spanish
- Experience using VAN/Votebuilder, LBJ, Mobilize, and G Suite
- Willingness to work long hours and weekends as needed
- Qualified Virginia Voter
- Bachelor’s Degree and experience as an organizer
Position is based out of the Richmond Office of the Democratic Party of Virginia and will begin in early January.
To apply, email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Voter Protection Coordinator” as the subject line.
The DPVA is committed to diversity among its staff, and recognizes that its continued success requires the highest commitment to obtaining and retaining a diverse staff that provides the best quality services to supporters and constituents. The DPVA is an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, economic status, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity or expression, ethnic identity or physical disability, or any other legally protected basis. The DPVA will not tolerate any unlawful discrimination and any such conduct is strictly prohibited.