RICHMOND, VA – Ahead of Ron DeSantis’s speech at Liberty University in Lynchburg this morning, Democratic Party of Virginia Chairwoman Susan Swecker released the following statement:
“Ron DeSantis is trying to sell his extreme agenda to Virginia today, and one look shows it would be a disaster for our people. Whether it’s Ron DeSantis or the rest of the 2024 field making their pitch to Virginians over the next year and a half, we’ll be laser focused on holding them accountable for their mission to ban abortion before many women even know they’re pregnant, oppose common sense gun safety laws, gut Social Security and Medicare, and more.”
Here’s all that you need to know about Ron DeSantis’s extreme MAGA agenda:
- After signing an abortion ban with no exceptions for rape and incest, DeSantis has now signed legislation that would ban abortion before many women know they are pregnant.
- Just last week, DeSantis signed extreme legislation behind closed doors that could make it easier for criminals to carry weapons and he has gone even further to endorse open-carry legislation.
- As a founding member of the House Freedom Caucus, DeSantis supported cuts to Social Security and Paul Ryan’s plans to end Medicare as we know it.
- Under DeSantis, Florida is one of only ten states that has refused to expand Medicaid for the most vulnerable families despite Florida facing some of the highest out-of-pocket health care expenses in the country.
- DeSantis continues to prioritize giving billions in tax giveaways to ultra-wealthy corporations and lining the pockets of his billionaire donors while working families suffer.
- While he focuses on culture wars, DeSantis has refused to address Florida’s teacher shortage – which is one of the worst in the country.