Virginia Republicans will stop at nothing to disenfranchise voters, and their true motivations are becoming increasingly difficult to conceal as they desperately attempt to file a baseless lawsuit.
The glaring question Republicans refuse to answer is "why." The fear mongering by conjuring up images of "rape" and "murder" was not a sufficient answer. Merely saying the word "Constitution" is not a sufficient answer.
Here are a few key points about Virginia Republicans' lawsuit threat:
- No credible lawyer in Virginia would agree to represent Virginia Republicans.
- Virginia Republicans hired a lawyer before they established grounds to file a lawsuit.
- There has not been one credible Constitutional argument presented by Virginia Republicans to justify a lawsuit.
- Republicans have resorted to demonizing a group of people who have served their time and re-entered their communities.
- Instead of trying to earn the support of voters, Republicans continue their crusade to prevent Virginians from accessing the ballot box.
- Virginia Republicans are so out of touch that they are planning on suing against a policy that exists without controversy in 40 other states.
- This law is directly tied to Virginia's shameful history of racial segregation. This measure was established along with poll taxes and literacy tests. Republicans are planning on suing to uphold a Jim Crow law.