Richmond, VA — The American Rescue Plan is a crucial lifeline for Virginians. Thanks to President Biden and Democrats in Congress, millions of Virginians are receiving $1,400 in direct checks, relief funding for small businesses is on the way, aid is being distributed to help schools reopen safely, and vaccine distribution is ramping up to beat COVID-19. This incredibly consequential, popular legislation will help Virginia weather the pandemic and build a strong economic recovery.
Despite all of this, Virginia Republicans have opposed the bill at every turn -- with all four of Virginia’s GOP congressmen voting against it and not a single GOP candidate for governor supporting it. Now, Pete Snyder has spoken for the field -- saying that he believes providing crucial relief for Virginia is “absolutely insane.” Snyder and his fellow candidates have made clear that they oppose:
- Over $7.3 billion in state and local funding
- Over $2 billion in relief for Virginia's K-12 schools
- Stimulus checks of up to $1,400 per person for more than 5 million adults and 1.8 million children
- A boost to the Child Tax Credit that will deliver up to $3,600 per child to the families of over 1.5 million children, lifting 85,000 Virginia children out of poverty
- Additional relief of up to nearly $1,000 through the Earned Income Tax Credit to 419,000 childless workers, including many in frontline jobs
This position is unconscionable, but it’s unsurprising since Virginia Republicans are only focused on one thing: who supports Donald Trump the most.
"Every Republican candidate in this weak field has a responsibility to explain why they oppose this critical relief for Virginians," said Manuel Bonder, DPVA spokesman. "The American Rescue Plan is our ticket to beating COVID-19, rescuing our economy, and building a better future for every community in Virginia. The Republican opposition to these essential priorities once again proves that these extreme candidates are fundamentally unfit to lead."