Richmond, VA –In an interview this morning with Virginia Scope, Governor Youngkin reaffirmed his anti-abortion position and his support for states' to have the ability to criminalize abortion. While abortion will continue to be legal in Virginia, the future of abortion rights here in the Commonwealth is at stake as long as Governor Youngkin and Republicans have power.
If you're wondering what the Governor and his Republican colleagues will try to implement in Virginia look no further than his long anti-abortion record:
- In his statement, Governor Youngkin reaffirmed what we already knew - he is 100% anti-abortion.
- Governor Youngkin promised Virginians he would go on offense and fight to enact a 20-week abortion ban.
- During the 2022 session, Republicans tried to pass several bills to turn Virginia back decades. From a 20-week abortion ban to limiting a person’s access to get the necessary health services they need.
- In a letter to anti-abortion groups, Governor Youngkin stated that he believes life begins at conception and his views are backed by science.
- Governor Youngkin pledged he would remove essential funding for reproductive health care.
- Governor Youngkin was the first Virginia Governor to participate in the Richmond anti-abortion rally.
“Make no mistake, Governor Youngkin and Virginia Republicans stand ready to ‘go on offense’ and criminalize abortion here in Virginia,” said DPVA Chairwoman Susan Swecker. “But while Republicans will undoubtedly launch new attacks on a women’s right to choose, Virginia Democrats remain deeply committed to protecting Virginians' right to an abortion. We will fight every single effort put forward by Governor Youngkin and Republican leadership to criminalize abortion and will ensure that Virginians have access to the health care and reproductive health care they need.”