It’s not a question of if they will try to criminalize abortion, it’s a question of when
Richmond, VA – Governor Youngkin has made his support clear for overturning Roe v. Wade and his commitment to “go on offense” on abortion, but Virginians should also be aware that Lt. Gov. Sears and Attorney General Miyares both have far-right views and records on abortion. If there’s any question about where the Youngkin administration stands on abortion, it's with government interference in personal decisions and against essential and common health care services.
Lt. Governor Sears’s Radical Anti-Abortion Stance:
- Last week at an anti-abortion demonstration, Sears declared “Abortion is wicked.”
- On the campaign trail, Sears stated she supports the far-right Texas abortion law that banned abortion as early as six weeks into pregnancy.
- Sears falsely claimed that Democratic reproductive health policies around the country are equivalent to murdering a year-old child.
- In 2020 she stated "Let's make a statue to Planned Parenthood. Responsible for facilitating Black genocide. Afterward, we'll tear it down."
Attorney General Miyares’s Far-right Record:
- Miyares urged the Supreme Court to reverse the Roe v. Wade decision just one week into his term in office, flipping Virginia’s legal position on abortion rights and declaring that “Roe and Casey were wrongly decided.”
- Miyares reversed Virginia’s legal position on the Equal Rights Amendment, arguing that its ratification should not be recognized and withdrawing from the lawsuit seeking federal recognition.
- As a Delegate, Miyares consistently voted against a woman’s right to choose:
- Voted to defund Planned Parenthood and other reproductive health care providers by blocking their state funds.
- Voted against the repeal of Virginia’s abortion prohibition in insurance plans.
- Voted against the repeal of medically-unnecessary restrictions on abortions, including mandatory ultrasounds and waiting periods.
“It’s not a question of if they will try to criminalize abortion, it’s a question of when,” said DPVA Chairwoman Susan Swecker. “The Lt. Governor’s and Attorney General's far-right records show that they will undoubtedly launch new attacks on a woman’s right to choose and Virginians should be concerned. The Youngkin administration is filled with far-right anti-abortion extremists and Democrats are ready to fight every attempt to restrict a Virginians' right to an abortion.”