ARLINGTON, VA – Ahead of 2024 GOP hopeful Nikki Haley’s anti-abortion speech at the headquarters of a group pushing for a national abortion ban in Arlington today, Democratic Party of Virginia Chairwoman Susan Swecker released the following statement:
“In South Carolina, Nikki Haley did exactly what Governor Glenn Youngkin has been dreaming of here in Virginia when she signed an extreme abortion ban with no exceptions for rape or incest. The group hosting Haley today has made backing a national abortion ban a litmus test for their support – and now, Youngkin, Haley, and the rest of the 2024 Republican field are tripping over themselves to prove their anti-abortion obsession.”
Here’s what you need to know about Nikki Haley’s and Glenn Youngkin’s MAGA anti-choice agendas:
- Haley is set to make her speech at Susan B. Anthony Pro Life America’s headquarters, the same radical group that endorsed Youngkin’s campaign in 2021 and is calling on every Republican candidate running for president to back a national abortion ban.
- As governor of South Carolina, Haley signed an dystopian abortion ban that made no exceptions for rape or incest and threatened doctors with jail time for providing care for their patients.
- Here in Virginia, Youngkin pushed the legislature to pass an extreme abortion ban that would have threatened doctors with up to 10 years of jail time and a potential $100,000 fine.
- Youngkin has signaled that he’s willing to go even further than that ban, saying he’d “happily and gleefully” sign “any bill” to restrict a woman’s ability to make her own health care decisions.
- And Youngkin has made it crystal clear that he’s not finished attacking reproductive rights in Virginia and that he’s planning to continue pushing for extreme restrictions.