Last night, Donald Trump delivered a speech that demonized immigrants and reaffirmed the same divisive policies that would tear apart families, undo the President's executive actions to protect DREAMers, and build a wall that Mexico will not finance.
While the criticism pours in against Donald Trump, Virginians will continue to hear the worst of Trump's rhetoric via his ideological mini-me: Tom Garrett, who is running for Congress in Virginia's 5th Congressional District. Tom Garrett and Donald Trump have a history of reprehensible remarks and policies on immigration that rival each other. Take a look for yourself:
- Garrett said that Trump "deserves a medal" on his anti-immigrant policies.
- Garrett fully supports Trump's wall and agrees with his proposal to ban all Muslims from entering the United States.
- Garrett sponsored a bill in 2016 that would prevent Virginia from establishing sanctuary cities and supported other states terminating their amnesty programs.
- Garrett voted against a bill in the Virginia Senate that would have permitted in-state tuition for students with visas, saying it would open up a "Pandora's Box."
- Garrett called the DREAM Act "unconstitutional" and "stupid".
- Garrett advocated for Virginia to adopt the same restrictive and racist policies as Arizona, which caused national outrage.
"Tom Garrett is more interested in carrying out the poisonous agenda of Donald Trump than fighting for people in Virginia's 5th Congressional District," said Emily Bolton, Communications Director for the Democratic Party of Virginia. "The 5th District deserves a representative with the political courage to condemn Trump's hostilities, not a loyal foot soldier who mirrors and celebrates them."